Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sunny California

I recently returned from a business trip to southern California. I've been there quite a few times over my working career and always enjoy it. I can see why so many people choose to live there.

The climate is ideal, there's a wonderful blend of climates with everything from snow in the mountains to lush greenery to rolling sand dunes nestled up to the Pacific Ocean that stretch for miles. I especially enjoy driving the Pacific Coast Highway when there's lots of time and I just want to roam.

It's unfortunate that all these great things are marred by horrendous traffic, smog, electrical shortages, fresh water supply problems and just lots and lots of people. Locusts have landed in the land of milk and honey.

I like Californians by and large. I find them optimistic and forward looking. They generally don't like whatever government is in power. They gave Arnold a chance but it's commonly held that he won't get another. They're an eclectic lot coming from far and wide including my home of Canada. It's really the eptimomy of the "melting pot of humanity".

You Know You're In California When...

  • The fastest part of your commute is down your driveway.

  • You were born somewhere else.

  • You know how to eat an artichoke.

  • The primary bugs that you worry about are electronic.

  • Your car has bulletproof windows.

  • Left is right and right is wrong.

  • Your monthly house payments exceed your annual income.

  • Your mouse has only one ball.

  • Your cat has it's own psychiatrist.

  • You dive under a desk whenever a large truck goes by.

  • You can also take the California Driver's License Test. Yep, they're a strange bunch.

    No comments: