Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Beautiful Thanksgiving!

We were pleased with warm temperatures and gentle breezes for our Thanksgiving Day weekend. I spent much of it outdoors combining work and pleasure. Whether is was visiting the Kingston Farmer's Market, mowing the lawn or hiking the paths of the Fundy Trail, everything experience was awesome.

Sunday afternoon we spent walking and driving around the Fundy Coast following the Fundy Trail Parkway. If you've ever been to the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia you'll experience similar vistas taking this road. Only Phase 1 has been built to-date. Future phases plan to connect this trail with Fundy National Park. I was somewhat sceptical of this initiative when it first started, perhaps more for selfish reasons than anything.

I've had many the two and three day hikes through this remote vista without help of even a trail let alone a road. My friends and I enjoyed the remoteness and beauty of this location. I was concerned that an auto road would open it up too much ruining the wilderness with inconsiderate ATVers, 4-wheelers et al. Would people respect nature as it was intended?

I can report so far so good. I'm sure there have been incidents but as far as I can tell they've been few and far between. Instead of necessitating a major excursion one can now jump in the car and access this beautiful spot with ease. I think the convenience and accessibility is worth the risk. This can be wonderful tourist destination if promoted and supported properly. I hope everyone supports it. If you haven't been there yet make it a point to do it. You'll be glad you did!

No comments: