Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas All!


A beautiful mild Christmas morning in southern New Brunswick. After getting up at 7am to open gifts and having a wonderful breakfast of eggs benedict, my daughter and I are sitting here watching her new Great Big Sea concert CD (Courage, Patience and Grit) tapping our feet and singing along with some great traditional Newfoundland folk music. If you've never heard these guys you're missing a real treat. We've been to several of their concerts and they really shine.

This is the time of year when I really notice the climate change going on around us. The Christmas mornings from my childhood were so different. They were usually cold and very white. Usually by Christmas day we had been through several major snow storms and had at least a few days off school due to these.

I vividly recall going outside on Christmas morning to play with a sled or a new pair of skates. I remember climbing a snow bank one Christmas morning and being able to touch the telephone wires with a stick. It's a far cry from the green grass outside this morning. I miss it.

The smells of Christmas are still very much the same; the turkey cooking, the fragrant stuffing, the fig pudding. Mom still works her magic, much the same as she has done for the past 50 years. My wife knows enough to stand aside when she's in the Christmas kitchen. My brother lives in Nova Scotia these days so it means we don't get to fight over the toys like we used to, although the days of the toy trains, racing car sets and action heroes seem to be far away.

As we look forward to a new year I wish peace and prosperity for all. We are truly blessed in Canada and I pray that we show God's love to all in 2007.

No comments: